ad banner

Thread: I haven't seen much discussion of the Kemper Stage here, but this is how I'm using it

Default I haven't seen much discussion of the Kemper Stage here, but this is how I'm using it

I play in two different cover bands as well as a solo live-looper show with covers and originals. I have never really been a pedal guy... I like great sounding amps, but have had to rely on a combination of Tech 21 Flyrigs and Wampler pedals to get enough variety to cover our set lists.

Last year I got to sit in on a Brooks and Dunn rehearsal in Nashville with their full stage rig (my friend is their drummer), and I was stunned by the great sounds coming from Charlie Crowe's Kemper rig, especially hearing it side by side with Jeff King's vintage tube amps. I asked Charlie's guitar tech a few questions about the Kemper and I was starting down that slippery slope.

I definitely wanted a floor controller but I was concerned about running cables from a Kemper lunchbox up to a looper by my feet, and back to the unit, along with the cable for the controller.... so I was sooo happy when Kemper finally introduced the Profiler Stage at Summer Namm

I separate the XLR main outs for Front Of House and run direct. I have those outputs separated from the main MASTER VOLUME knob on the face, so any changes during the show won't affect the rig volume at the board.

The Monitor Out is running to the FX return on my super lightweight Mesa Rectoverb combo (made even lighter with a Celestion Neo Vintage 12" speaker) and acts as my on stage amp and cab.

Since I'm the lead singer, being able to switch from a Matchless with a little chorus for the verses to a brown sound Marshall with delay for the lead with a single tap is just amazing. The stage is so much cleaner, and I'm using a single tap to completely change amps and which effects instead of tap dancing.

I know there are other Kemper users here.... anyone else using the Profiler Stage in a Live setting?

I watched a couple GoogleTube videos on this, coupled with a comparison/contrast to the Kemper and the Helix.

It might have been Andertons and one other channel, but the gist was that the Helix -- for stage/line-level -- was better suited (feature-wise). Granted, one or two increments and the Kemper stage is on par.

I hate to say it, but I have not purchased any new gear -- as related to modeling/stage/line-level -- in over a decade. Well, I did get an Orange Crush 12 (one 8-inch speaker), and it has a phone-out-with-cab-sim. Funny, but I use the Orange Crush as a pre-amp that goes in to my Line-6 Pod XT-Live (yep, I am really dating myself).

But, I have found that there is no substitute for practice. I am averaging 3 hours of practice on the guitar every evening after a full day of work, and then I put in another 6-12 hours of practice every open Saturday/Sunday. As for gear, I figure it sounds way better when you practice.

Cheers, CZ
    PS - Check out my YouTube channel (Czar of Zonk) -- shameless plug as that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Czar Of Zonk View Post
    I watched a couple GoogleTube videos on this, coupled with a comparison/contrast to the Kemper and the Helix.

It might have been Andertons and one other channel, but the gist was that the Helix -- for stage/line-level -- was better suited (feature-wise). Granted, one or two increments and the Kemper stage is on par...
    I've seen and heard the other units and I feel that the Fractal and Helix are better suited for people who like to use big pedalboards. People who like to use a ton of effects wired in parallel and series, with this effect feeding that effect. But the amp models are still amp models. They're very good amp models, but models none the less.

I'm more of a "good amp with a little reverb and delay" kind of guy... and to my ears, the Kemper captures the sound and feel of a tube amp much better. The fact that you can throw some pedals in the chain as well are a nice bonus, but they're not why you get a Kemper. Add to that the simplicity of twisting a few knobs and I'm right at home without paging through a bunch of fiddly menus.

Honestly, I can't think of any sounds I would want to play through that couldn't be accomplished with a Kemper and an Eventide H8 or a couple Strymon pedals in the loop. The reverbs and delays in the Kemper are top notch, but if you're a boutique effects guy, throw them in one of the two effects loops and control them with the Kemper's midi.

Hi,

I have also been looking at the Atomic AmpliFire 6 (I think the '6' is the red pedal, if I recall correctly).

That one intrigues me because it has the horsepower of the other big pedal boards but in a pedal form.

Cheers

I also have a small power amp and separate Mesa 1x12 cabinet... but the other thing I like about carrying my Mesa Recto combo is that if I have a problem with either one, they're both backups to each other.

I could easily play a gig direct to the amp with reverb, or if a tube blew, I could turn the direct Kemper up in the monitors and play through.

I got a Helix HX Stomp recently. For me the reason is - make my life easy with less to carry.

I have great amps, top shelf. I have the tone I have always wanted with that stuff.

My goal is to use the Stomp as a back up for live gigs direct to FOH. Also I want to not tie up an amp at the practice space. At home it kills with my great monitors, at practice it needed help because the monitors
    are not as good.

I like you don't need many effects rhythm and lead tone JCM 800ish. The stomp is perfect for that. Same engine as the big Helix just less buttons or effects at the same time.

There is a guy on the PRS facebook page the is in Atlanta and uses a Helix direct to FOH. He is pretty big there and he kills with it on the Vids.

My point is - go direct and forget the amp. Or get a Headrush FRFR from what I read....