ad banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12-String Bass?

Default 12-String Bass?

I don't know much about basses but I just saw something interesting on TV. Cheap Trick was on the Tonight Show and Tom Petersson was playing what appeared to be a 12-string bass. It had four bass tuners and eight guitar tuners arranged bggbgg on each side of the headstock. Is it four bass strings, each with two companion guitar strings? What does that do for the sound?
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt

Makes it HUGE. Doug Pinnick of King's X and Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam have both used 12's as well. Bass & rhythm guitar all in one package.
    I work for Centaur Guitar in Portland,Oregon. Cold beer and weird guitars.

One of the instruments I really want to get.....I wonder if you need to split the signal, lows to a "cleanish" bass amp and highs to a dirty guitar amp to get the best out of it?
    Post-capitalist, non-theist, neo-humanist!

When I saw King's X Pinnick was running all the lows thru his SVT rig and the highs thru a Traynor head and 4x12". Crunch city.

For a long time Petersson used only Hiwatt guitar amps for his 12's. No bass amps at all.
    I work for Centaur Guitar in Portland,Oregon. Cold beer and weird guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    When I saw King's X Pinnick was running all the lows thru his SVT rig and the highs thru a Traynor head and 4x12". Crunch city.

For a long time Petersson used only Hiwatt guitar amps for his 12's. No bass amps at all.
    Definitely Dug's sound that I dig rather than Tom's....
    Post-capitalist, non-theist, neo-humanist!

Like Knuckles said, fills out the sound. In the case of King's X, that my favorite application of it that I've heard (says a much biased fan too, haha).

I really like Doug's bass tone. Several of their songs would not sound 'right' without that 12-string. Regarding his live rig (and of course the FOH mix), the last couple of times I've seen them I have never before or since had my body impacted by sound waves so much that I'm pretty sure I felt my chest cavity organs move, haha!!

Here's a recent song of theirs with the 12-string:

lefty playing righty

Thanks for the answers everyone! So it is set up as two drone or companion strings for each bass string?
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt

^^^ not sure, but the following explanation makes the most sense for ease of playing the instrument in different songs (in other words, tuning to anything other than drones/octaves could be nightmarish for harmonic structure) - and this is from a wiki page on Doug (take with a grain of salt I suppose):

"Pinnick is a notable user of the 12 string bass, which is a bass guitar with 4 sets of triple coursed octave strings, similar to a 12 string guitar."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Pinnick
    lefty playing righty

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    Makes it HUGE. Doug Pinnick of King's X and Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam have both used 12's as well. Bass & rhythm guitar all in one package.

They both used Hamer 12 string basses. Tom Peterson used the original Hamer 12 string basses but had someone else make the ones he uses now when he was out of Cheap Trick.

Doug's currently using one from Yamaha (here's the build process with the Yamaha guru himself - very cool):

http://www.12stringbass.net/master.h...s.net/doug.htm

and Doug gives full credit to Jol D. and Tom P. at the end of this interview (also a cool read):

http://www.12stringbass.net/master.h...s.net/doug.htm
    lefty playing righty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast