ad banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which PRS CE model is "Stratier"?? The CE24 or CE22??

Default Which PRS CE model is "Stratier"?? The CE24 or CE22??

As title says- I am wondering which PRS CE model is more "Strat like"?

I will restrict it to these three models specs:

1) PRS CE24 with alder body and maple top pre 1995 with HFS/VB pickups. 5 way
    2) PRS CE22 with Dragon 1 pickups. Mahogany Body/Maple top. 5 Way
    3) PRS CE22 with Dragon II pickups. Mahogany Body/Maple top. 5 Way

I have had a few DGTs and they are great guitars. Kind of its own thing, though.

I am curious about the CE bolt on models right now.
    I had an 89 CE24 with 5 way years ago. I played a CE22 briefly with normal three way, but was not sure how it would sound with the 5 way.

What should I expect to look for in prices?
    Seems like they are around $1200 asking price used in good shape.

Any input is welcome.
    James Jaros carvetop/ ES 335/ R8

AXE III/Mesa Mark V

Hi,

I don't know if this youtube vid would shed some light for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-fMboW__N0

24 and 22 bridge PUPs are in the same location (scale length being the same), but I prefer 22 fret models over 24 as the neck PUP is spaced further from the bridge, but that wouldn't necessarily equate to a strat tone quest. There used to be a BAM post that gave a decent visual of the 24-versus-22 layout, don't know if it came over to VR or not.

On my latest Swamp Ash release on my you tube channel, I went with the guitar (and a good set of tones as dialed in on my old pod-xt), but whether or not any of the tones came out stratty, I'll leave to the viewer to decide. (slightly aside)

Quote Originally Posted by Czar Of Zonk View Post
    Hi,

I don't know if this youtube vid would shed some light for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-fMboW__N0

24 and 22 bridge PUPs are in the same location (scale length being the same), but I prefer 22 fret models over 24 as the neck PUP is spaced further from the bridge, but that wouldn't necessarily equate to a strat tone quest. There used to be a BAM post that gave a decent visual of the 24-versus-22 layout, don't know if it came over to VR or not.

On my latest Swamp Ash release on my you tube channel, I went with the guitar (and a good set of tones as dialed in on my old pod-xt), but whether or not any of the tones came out stratty, I'll leave to the viewer to decide. (slightly aside)

Thanks.
    I am an old BAM member. I have seen that video. Its pretty good.

I think one thing I wonder about is the Alder body with maple cap versus the Mahogany body with maple cap- if that makes a difference in getting more Strat spank.
    If no big deal- I am probably more comfortable with 22 fret models.

I am really a casual single coil, or Strat/Tele tone player. Mostly humbucker guy.
    I could always pick up another DGT as that was pretty good in split mode for most things.

AXE III/Mesa Mark V

What are you looking to get? "Stratty" is pretty vague. I remember the front pickup split on my DGT got the "souped up strat neck pickup tones" for SRV stuff, but not sure if that's what you are after. If you wan't that "strat quack" from pos 2 and 4 on the strat 5 way, I'm not sure thats possible on any models you listed.

For what it's worth, I do like my SE EGs - I have an SSS and an SSH. While here... I am not comfortable with a 25.5 inch scale length. I'm reaching too much on the lower frets.

As far as which (22 or 24 fret) gets 'strattier', my vote will always be the 24 fret guitars with the 5-way.
    PJ Clement

I agree with Czar, an SE EG will do very well. My CE (1996 CE22 with Dragon I's) isn't what I'd call Stratty at all.

If anything, I hear more Tele from the PRS 5 position than Strat.

Thx guys. I ended up getting offered a player grade DGT at a pretty good price.
    Think I am going with that again.

AXE III/Mesa Mark V

Don't write off the Silver Sky brother, IMHO thats pretty darn Stratty and there are some very good deals to be had now that they are coming up for sale used but not abused at all...Have you ever checked one out?
    G
    I have dealt with everyone here for the most part not a bad experience yet, you guys are great! - G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast