ad banner

Thread: Auto Wah / Pedal Chain

Default Auto Wah / Pedal Chain

I had to search awhile to find the "Pedal Order" thread.......so my board has always been set-up using Serious Poo's Pedal chain from the Archive room.
    But i do have one question.......my Snow White Auto Wah...... where should it go? Its not really a Wah pedal in the sense that Serious Poo was mentioning.
    So exactly what class does it fall under, and where should it go using the following chain from Poo?

Guitar > Compressor > Wah > EQ > Clean Boost > Overdrive > Distortion > Fuzz > Noise Gate > Volume Pedal > Flanger > Chorus > Phaser > Short Delay > Long Delay > Reverb > Tremelo > EQ (if still needed) > Clean Boost (on a very modest setting) > Amp.

I’d go after compressor
    www.reverbnation.com/242rocks

Powered by Thorn, PRS, 2tek, Kauer Guitars
    Mykkus Built amplification
    V-Picks, Scumbacks, WCR, Wolfetone, Seymour Duncan, TV Jones and other sundries.

Hi, I would like to chime in, almost such as to hijack this thread, to talk about the signal chain.

But, I decided not and let it go.

I am currently playing through my Line6 Pod-XT live (shrug, I'm still in the 2000's and haven't moved up into 2010's -- and now we're almost into the 2020's, but now I digress), which has a predefined [virtual] pedal-chain. -- OK, I am also playing through a headphone amp (which has no pedal chain, chuckle).

I would like to talk about my pedal selection / chain order, which is rather conservative, but I'm wondering if I should start a brand new thread or if there is one on BAM (well, VR) that already exists and is somewhat collecting dust and needs to be resurrected?

Fire away Zonk.........knowledge is liberating!!!!

Hi, this is the setup that I used in my YouTube offering from May 2018:

I mic'd the AMP through a Sure SM50 into an XLR interface (I used a Boss RC-50, which I hate!), recorded through Sound Blaster at 96K and then reduced and transformed as needed to produce a dot.mp4.

The AMP is a 1964 (or maybe 1965 - I have to open it up and check date stamps) Sears Silvertone 1482 1-by-12. I had VVT Amps in Waldorf, MD give it an overhaul, including a speaker upgrade. This AMP comes with a built-in tube tremolo circuit, and I outfitted a footswitch to engage/disengage the tremolo circuit. My settings for the tremolo circuit are mild / subtle (not pronounced).

My pedal board is an SKB PS-25. It's somewhat dated, but it is carry friendly like a backpack (kind of). Without further ado...

Guitar > tuner (this is not itemized in the "Poo" chain, but it's likely understood / implied) > Danelectro Fab Tone (gain) > arion chorus (used in mono mode) > Danelectro corned beef reverb (marginal / mild / subtle setting) > Boss CS-3 (especially for clean tones) > Decimator Noise Reducer > Aphex XCiter (plus "big bottom") > AMP

Outside of the tuner, the back four pedals are geared to EQ and tonal shaping.

As for reverb, I don't want much here as engineering would postulate that reverb should be managed "post processing". I did not do any post processing, other than fade-in/fade-out.

You can't buy the Danelectro Fab Tone anymore (well, new that is, as far as I know). It's kind of an analog(ish) gain-amp-model of sorts. It is not subtle!

The Boss CS-3 is, as George Costanza might say, "fabulous". I tend to not combine it with the Danelectro Fab Tone (too much over the top). But for clean tones, it really adds a touch of spank/twang/attack.

The best thing about the Decimator NR is that it's just one knob.

The Aphex XCiter / Big Bottom was quite expensive and it's a very good EQ boost of sorts.

If anything, I would replace the "Corned Beef" reverb with something more usable.

Lastly, the Sears Silvertone AMP is a "dark" amp. So, I use the Aphex CXiter to pump up some brightness (as well as add some "thump" on the low end).

Well, I consider my set up to be rather "conservative". Not much in the way of effects and a decent arrangement geared to EQ and tonal shaping (probably as it should be).

My latest acquisition is an Orange Crush 12W (one-by-six-inch speaker). This is a solid state amp. I think my pedal chain, as described above, should push that amp really well. As for the headphone/out, with the 4-x-12 CabSim -- the low end is too much fuzzy/breaking-up (in my opinion, not really usable). As such, I only play it through the speaker.