ad banner

Thread: Can you explain eBay scam

Default Can you explain eBay scam

Over the years I have sold a few things on eBay and Craig's list. Almost always, I encounter the same scam. The "buyer" wants to pay more than the asking price, to cover shipping. Then they send a check, which is bogus (obviously skirting the eBay rule of keeping transactions within the platform; but not contrary to Craig). It is not clear to me how the "buyer" wants this transaction to occur. The "shipping" address is also bogus, so its not like they would actually receive product but bounce a check. What's the scam?

My brother worked these online scams as a detective for over a year... Basically they start a paper trail between you two... with the potential of getting a hold of your Bank info from the bounced check...

At that time they simple Google you and get your SSN / DOB / Address... and bam.... Stolen Identity

Had not thought about that. Gracias.

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by lookslikemeband View Post
    My brother worked these online scams as a detective for over a year... Basically they start a paper trail between you two... with the potential of getting a hold of your Bank info from the bounced check...

At that time they simple Google you and get your SSN / DOB / Address... and bam.... Stolen Identity
    How can they get your bank details if they are the ones that send a cheque that bounces?

More likely to be the ID fraud by getting your address & name.