ad banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Santana with solid rosewood neck?

Okay, i waited long enough!

PRSi....SAS, HB II, ME I, DGT Wood Library, 408 BRW, P22, DC 245

NICE!!!

Ok...we need a report!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Yarbrough View Post
    Ok...we need a report!
    Still in the exploration stage......It is an interesting setup with 24 frets on the shorter scale. It takes me a bit of getting used to, having more frets to the left of the body. Not a bad thing, seeing as how I do like to get higher up the neck, much more so than "cowboy chord" positions. FWIW, my preferences seems to be tilting toward longer scale guitars in recent years. Not that I have a problem with a shorter scale......The frets DO get closer together up high, but they are very accessible. How often do I get above the 22nd fret? Well, maybe on a Gary Moore solo or two.....

It is a real beauty. Love the ebony. Also the neck is a bit different and the milder neck pickup, with much more aggressive stance for the bridge pickup (and no coil split) is a change of pace. Again, not better or worse, just something to get used to.

I did try it next to a pair of (somewhat) similar PRSi......A 594 SC with korina body and neck and ebony. Thicker body and heavier, for korina, that you might expect. Standard LT pickups. The other, a TED DC, also with rosewood neck, but BRW fretboard......A match up of 57/08 (N) and 59/09 (B). I would say all are more or less at the same (Wood Library) level, so none leave much to be desired.

Just for fun, tried some Santana (seems relevant).....Europa, into a sort of D-type amp. Not that my playing will win any awards, but what I LIKE to do is take one chorus with the neck, one with the bridge, then (like the long outro) shift to the middle position, with maybe a touch of volume roll-off. To my ears, the Ted is dialed in perfectly.....What a great combination of pickups! The 594 is (surprise!) not quite as aggressive, but still sounds very good and fat. The Santana gets more of a volume bump when switching from neck to bridge. Nothing wrong with that, although my initial thought was that TWO volume knobs might be useful. Though I do like the second chorus to have a sharper attack.

It may or may not be a long term keeper. I like the looks, the feel, the sound. And I am a sucker for guitars with rosewood necks. SO.....Time will tell.
    PRSi....SAS, HB II, ME I, DGT Wood Library, 408 BRW, P22, DC 245

Cool. I tend to like the Santana neck the best of all the PRS guitars. I plan on getting a RW neck one at some point in time.

I have a Santana II ltd brazilian neck is a dream to play, slightly darker sounding than my me1s and sustain for days ;-) just a case of getting used to the control positions grab one if you can find one
    ME1 x4
    MEIII
    Santana II BR Ltd
    Singlecut x2
    PS SC-58
    Sig Ltd
    CU24
    HBII piezo
    513 RW
    Les Paul Std
    Two Rock, Carr, Matchless & Rivera amps

You don't stop playing because you're getting old