ad banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going direct to the board

That's gonna be my next big step. Trying to put everything into a case, so I don't have to do a lot of setup in the morning. I'm actually looking at rifle cases now. My board arrangement is almost 40" wide, but not very deep. All I want to have to do is flip open the case, plug in the two main gazintas, two gazouttas and one power cable.

I see that line6 is now going in the wireless direction.

I'm always frustrated with fighting cords, so I'm interested in following this trend.

I did get a Line6 G10 and I'm very happy with that. This just replaces the instrument cord, while the latest foray goes in to the rest of the chain.

The G10 is great but does not work well with the PRS Piezo guitars. I have a P24 and the pin that activates the wireless does not get activated the way the input jack is. It sticks out farther.

Yeah, I can see that.

I bought my G10 for my Santana MD. The "MD" was blown and had to be replaced, I think because I have a '64 Sears Silvertone with two prongs. So, I got the G10 to ensure that the "MD" would not suffer from bad electricity. So far, so good.

Hi, Merry Christmas ('er, post date being Dec 25),

Been watching demo vid's of Helix, HX Stomp, Kemper and Atomic AmpliFire and then I went about scouring from prices, new and used.

I am about ten years out of date, with my Pod Xt Live, plus a couple headphone amps.

I did pick up an Orange Crush 12W (1x6). I found the pocket pod in front of the Orange to be quite fun, BTW.

So, back to now (2018 going in to 2019) and I have to say the prices must be ahead of demand (in other words, things are very expensive). In order to get the tonal qualities delivered at prices that are within the budget of the budget minded, you have to throw out the floor processor (even used prices are unreasonable) and get a stomp form factor, which is totally inadequate for the need (which is floor board in one), or spend the bucks to go out and get a floor based midi controller and then fool around with getting it to work.

In any case, I am sticking with the toys I have. I don't see buying something inadequate to get the tones that -- although state of the art today -- aren't necessarily going to be taking me where I am not going. So, line-6, about ten years back, got us to the moon and, now, we're getting to mars. But, for me (next paragraphs), getting to mars isn't worth the price tags ('er, my moon toys are good enough). I should note I have my '64 class-A tube amp and I should just replace the Danelectro fab-tone with a full-tone/full-drive and call it a day.

All this gets me to thinking. I am working my butt off practicing. I spend one to two hours every evening practicing after work and another 5 hours practicing every open weekend day. I practiced from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. yesterday. My knees are aching, doing all that standing. Left hand is better after some "tiger balm."

In another words, toys may be toys, but if you are not busting your butt as much as you can/love/desire, working at the craft, I don't see the point buying these expensive toys just because you have "toy acquisition syndrome."

Frankly, I prefer clean tones because the other stuff just seems to mask all my hard work.

Well, I haven't heard the helix / atomic in person, so... As for the kemper, it seems cool but I would ditch the amp for just the processor (I see they have a floor variant, but it's like $1,400! Yikes).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12