ad banner

Thread: 50's Wiring

Default 50's Wiring

Long story short: I sold two guitars and went to the guitar store to replace one. I looked at a PRS Vela and SE Custom 22 semi-hollow. I came home with a second, light weight, Zach Myers. So, I decided to switch one to 50's wiring. Hoping to made the tone response, a little different.

I connected the capacitor to the lug on the Tone Pot, that had the original Cap. I connected the other lead to the center lug of the Volume Pot. Everything works, but the guitar is now brighter with the Tone Pot set a zero, darker at 10. The sound has improved, for some settings.

Did I wire something Backwards? Or, is this normal for 50's wiring?

Thanks.

Did you accidentally swap the outer lugs on the tone pot? If the tone pot's three lugs are facing north, you typically employ the left and center lugs into the circuit and don't use the lug on the right. I cut it off entirely most of the time.
    TheFretShack.com
    Facebook.com/thefretshack

I connected the left lug of the Tone Pots, to the center lugs of the Volume Pots. It is doing what I wanted, except for the Tone controls working backwards. The wiring change has eliminated the "Tone Suck", of the Alpha POTS. Instead of lug 2 of the Tone Pots going direct to ground, it goes through the pickup , to ground (or resistance ground). Making more like 50's wiring, with a bright circuit.
    Last edited by chicagoslim; 07-02-2017 at 02:49 PM.