ad banner

Thread: TC Spark Mini Booster = 3rd channel on a 2 channel amp

Default TC Spark Mini Booster = 3rd channel on a 2 channel amp

I bought a Mesa Mark V:35 in January, and it's really a great amp! Trouble is, I've been using a Mark V (100w) for years, and I've grown to really depend on having three channels. So, I was thinking I'd set channel 2 as a low/medium gain and use a gain boost to put it over the top. I tried a couple of overdrive pedals, and they boosted the gain, but they made the tone sound all nasal sounding. No sir, I don't like it!

The other guitarist in my band uses a bunch of TC stuff (I don't use much in the way of pedals - wah, chorus, delay), and suggested I look at a clean boost like the Spark Booster. Well, I found one on Reverb for cheap, so I pulled the trigger. OMG - this thing is PERFECT!! It doesn't color the tone, and with channel 2 set on Xtreme and gain at 10:00 (nice classic rock tone), this booster pushes it into blazing Mesa territory. It's just what I needed to put this channel over the top.

Instant 3-channel amp!
    PJ Clement

One of the many joys of life is finding a product that performs as expected, especially at a good price. Good on you.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdude View Post
    I bought a Mesa Mark V:35 in January, and it's really a great amp! Trouble is, I've been using a Mark V (100w) for years, and I've grown to really depend on having three channels. So, I was thinking I'd set channel 2 as a low/medium gain and use a gain boost to put it over the top. I tried a couple of overdrive pedals, and they boosted the gain, but they made the tone sound all nasal sounding. No sir, I don't like it!

The other guitarist in my band uses a bunch of TC stuff (I don't use much in the way of pedals - wah, chorus, delay), and suggested I look at a clean boost like the Spark Booster. Well, I found one on Reverb for cheap, so I pulled the trigger. OMG - this thing is PERFECT!! It doesn't color the tone, and with channel 2 set on Xtreme and gain at 10:00 (nice classic rock tone), this booster pushes it into blazing Mesa territory. It's just what I needed to put this channel over the top.

Instant 3-channel amp!
    I'm a little confused. If you don't want the tone colored, why not just use the separate boost for solos? Not enough gain when set on "Xtreme?" One of the reasons this amp was so appealing to me was that it has separate controllable boost channels. I think of it as 3 channels because of those convenient boosts. I don't use a color pedal at all.
    "Honey, this old thing? I've had it for years!"

Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    I'm a little confused. If you don't want the tone colored, why not just use the separate boost for solos? Not enough gain when set on "Xtreme?" One of the reasons this amp was so appealing to me was that it has separate controllable boost channels. I think of it as 3 channels because of those convenient boosts. I don't use a color pedal at all.
    What I needed was 3 channels of rhythm; clean, medium gain, and high gain. This is how I have things set on my big Mark V. I play covers, so I like having that versatility. I use the solo boost in the amp to bump my volume for leads. I set the 2nd channel as a medium crunch - gain around 10:00 - for classic rock stuff. I hit the booster in that channel to push it to sound more like 'channel 3 in my big Mark' and use the solo boost for leads in whatever channel I'm on. I used the Xtreme mode because I like the "bigness" of it - not because it's gainier. When I hit the booster, it's as if I turned up the gain. I didn't want the tone colored, but just the same as the rhythm sound....just more gain.

Clean: Chennel 1
    Medium Gain: Channel 2
    High Gain: Channel 2 with Spark Booster
    PJ Clement

Quote Originally Posted by Tiboy View Post
    One of the many joys of life is finding a product that performs as expected, especially at a good price. Good on you.
    Thanks T! Can't wait for rehearsal!
    PJ Clement

I am a fan of TC pedals myself. I have the full size Spark Drive at the end of my drive pedals for adding a push to the amp.

I have been using the Spark mini for gigs for the past two years and love it. I swapped the tiny knob for a great big MXR knob so I can step on the knob and adjust the level during a set.

One of my favorite features is you can tap it like a normal switch for a full solo, and tap it off...... or if it's just a little fill that you need boost, just step and hold for boost. When you lift off, the switch goes off. Latched and momentary in the same single button format without changing anything!!