ad banner

Thread: 6th Knaggs NGD: Tier 3 Kenia P-90 with a Korina Top!

Default 6th Knaggs NGD: Tier 3 Kenia P-90 with a Korina Top!

Another Knaggs NGD! My 6th Knaggs here in recent times, but really my 5th one as I already traded my SSC away and replaced it with the Dark Cherry Burst Kenai.

This one is one you might not expect from me, those who know me on another part of this forum know me for crazy sick handpicked tops and stuff like that. Well not today!

I have been thinking about getting a P-90 guitar for a while, in some sort of short-scale guitar. There were just a few Knaggs P-90's out there in the dealer inventories. This P-90 Kenai caught my eye, and finally I scooped it up last week. I really love the Kenai model already, love that fat '59 Neck, how it plays, and the ergonomics of how comfortable it is for a Singlecut.

This one is interesting and unique as it has a Korina top stained yellow, it really gives it a Vintage vibe, almost like a Goldtop sort of thing going on. I also dig that it has black P-90's versus creme, sort of gives it a bad-ass look. Love the Top hat knobs, a nice touch!

As it was on its way, I wondered if I would want to keep it or not, certainly it is the plainest looking guitar I have bought in many years. It occurred to me a could get a nice used Historic R6 for about the same price.

Then it came in, opening the case I still wasn't sure. And then, I plugged it in.

WOW!!

Sounds amazing! I haven't owned a P-90 guitar in about 7 years, but I never really got the know the couple I had. I have found across all of the Influence Series guitars with this bridge that I have tried so far (Keya, Chena and Kenai), all of them have had amazing sustain and resonance, and I am convinced that this bridge is a key component of it. I think the Korina top gives it some extra sparkle and sizzle too. Sounds great across high gain, crunch and clean tones. Really a versatile guitar.

My guitar instructor came over today, he always has fun seeing my new guitars, and he totally dug this one. (Although his favorite Knaggs so far is the Spalted Keya!)

The carved top of the Kenai is a beautiful shape, and without a fancy Maple top on there, that is what you see. Yet versus an opaque finish there is still a very subtle grain to the Korina, so you still get to appreciate the wood grain.

This guitar is a cool departure for me, no fancy looks, it just means business. Maybe if all my guitars were like this, I would be actually playing them instead of talking about them on forums!
    PRS Short Scale Fanatic!!

Wow you really went to extreme...

Simplicity and pure tone, you never cease to amaze us Pete

Congrats on another killer addition
    " Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights.
    But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge."

The Prophet

SWEET I had a go round with P-90 ( Mira 245 ) they are fun in a raunchy kinda way CONGRATS on another killer guitar
    PRS 408
    PRS CU22
    PRS CU22 Special Semi Hollow
    PRS 513
    PRS SCT
    PRS DGT
    PRS Silver Sky ( Horizon )
    PRS Silver Sky ( Orion Green )
    Fender Stratocaster
    Guild D-35
    Ovation Celebrity Deluxe Double neck
    Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them )
    TC Electronics Nova System
    Mesa Boogie MKV
    PRS 2 Channel H

Quote Originally Posted by Rider1260 View Post
    SWEET I had a go round with P-90 ( Mira 245 ) they are fun in a raunchy kinda way CONGRATS on another killer guitar
    Thanks, Mike!

Definitely "raunchy" here!
    PRS Short Scale Fanatic!!

Wow that one really is a departure. Looks real fun and that's what its all about!

Wow, I am beginning to think you are Nucking Futs, Pete!!

Enjoy them all in good health!!