ad banner

Thread: The Joys of Gigging

Default The Joys of Gigging

45-50 years ago, playing gigs was dead easy. Most of us guitarists, back then, had just one guitar and an amp. We had a van to transport the band and equipment to gigs and most importantly had one or two friends to act as roadies.

These days, I seem to take multiple guitars together with my amps, PA, Mixer, and numerous other bits and pieces. All of us in the band travel to gigs in our own transport. We still have one or two friends to act as roadies, however, 45-50 years has had a bit of an impact on our ability to 'hump and dump'.

Oh the joys of gigging in your sixties

yeah - standard geezer lament. We used to play for $1500 a night - four piece band, back when gas was 50 cents a gallon. I showed up with my Cry Baby, my Black Beauty, and a Fender Twin (later, a 59 Bassman.)

now - I'll bring 2-4 guitars, a pedalboard worth more than my entire rig back in the day, and some overpriced boutique amp. If I come out of the gig with a C-note in my pocket, I consider myself lucky.

Don't even get me started on the pa and lights we drag around.

You'd think that at my age, I'd know better. By the time I'm loaded up after a gig, I'm too tired to do ANYTHING with the lil groupies....
    Jon

Too many guitars.
    Even more amps.
    Waiting for an intervention, here.

Pretty much everything V said, except it was 30 years ago for me (ok, closer to 35), more often than not we're splitting $400 between 5 guys, and I try to take only one guitar. My pedalboard is worth 3x my old rig...though I sold that old amp for almost 3x what I paid. And Sunday I walk around looking for the bus that ran me over. De-stroyd!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    . And Sunday I walk around looking for the bus that ran me over. De-stroyd!
    Just about sums it up for me as well

Because we don't gig that often, we try to do 3 consecutive gigs. We are all shattered afterwards

Until last year, for three years we were playing 3+ times a month. For a group with 2 liver transplant patients and a guitarist with a replaced hip (not me), that was pretty brutal. Figured someone would eventually keel over on stage. Also figured that eventually I'd have to have some body parts replaced if I stuck around. Peer pressure and all...

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    Until last year, for three years we were playing 3+ times a month. For a group with 2 liver transplant patients and a guitarist with a replaced hip (not me), that was pretty brutal. Figured someone would eventually keel over on stage. Also figured that eventually I'd have to have some body parts replaced if I stuck around. Peer pressure and all...
    Yep old age brings lots of medical issues. I often play with a drummer friend who has had a double bypass op. Still carries on

Quote Originally Posted by johnreardon View Post
    Yep old age brings lots of medical issues. I often play with a drummer friend who has had a double bypass op. Still carries on
    I was in a band - actually almost ten years ago - after I left, the alcoholic drummer (which is why I left - we played a gig where he passed out drunk while sitting on his drum throne) ran into serious medical problems. Actually ended up playing some gigs with his colostomy bag on the floor by his hihat.
    Jon

Too many guitars.
    Even more amps.
    Waiting for an intervention, here.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post
    I was in a band - actually almost ten years ago - after I left, the alcoholic drummer (which is why I left - we played a gig where he passed out drunk while sitting on his drum throne) ran into serious medical problems. Actually ended up playing some gigs with his colostomy bag on the floor by his hihat.
    Any pics?

When we first met up for our reunion in 2013, most of the talk was about what medicines each of us were taking.