ad banner

Thread: Standard Strat and Tele Prices?

Default Standard Strat and Tele Prices?

Can someone please tell me when the everyday garden variety used US Standard Strats and Teles went from $500 to $1200? Man I'm getting old!
    tfancil

I just sold a mint 2014 used AM Std Strat with higher end channel bound neck for $850 shipped.
    I would think a garden variety Standard would be closer to $700 or so.
    James Jaros carvetop/ ES 335/ R8

AXE III/Mesa Mark V

That's what 20-years of inflation will do. I remember in '95 when AmStd Fenders were $529 at Guitar Center (no case). MIM Standards are $599 now.

I sold an American Standard Tele in really good shape last year for $800. I had gigged with it and it had some fret wear on it. It had two small dings in the edge in the black part of the finish that I had touched up. This was all shown to the buyer before purchase. The guitar was 10 years old. I think I sold it used for more than I paid for it new.
    "The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)

I've been looking at used, regular everyday American Strats and they are in the $700.00 range. I mean some variety's go up to $1100-$1200.00....

It is a high-end AMERICAN made guitar. If you think about it really compared to other american made guitars, it is a bargain for $1.2k.

Another data point for you - I paid $800 for a new Am. Std. ash Tele in 2004. A little over 11 years later and it's still worth about the same. Contrast that with an '83 Les Paul Custom I also paid $800 for in the mid-'90s that pretty much tripled in price over the same amount of time (ok, 2009 did take the wind out of the market, no doubt). Still, I'd say Fender is a good bargain. I kept the Tele and still play it and love it, the LP is long gone.
    I can't think of anything to say . . . I think it's nice.