ad banner

Thread: Double NGD - Strat & LP

Default Double NGD - Strat & LP

I don't recall ever getting 2 guitars in one day, so today has been fun. I've been on something of a buying spree lately to "round out" my collection, and decided I needed proper examples of a Stratocaster and a Les Paul. I already have a Fender Select Series Telecaster, so I am covered there. By "proper", I just mean made by Fender and Gibson. I have a PRS SC-245 and an Anderson Hollow Classic, but I wanted to have the "real" deals. I also wanted to see how Custom Shop guitars compared with the others that I have (PRS US, Tom Anderson, Melancon). I know there are a bajillion variations of Strats and LPs, so I did some research, and ultimately picked these two.

First was the Les Paul Standard, which is pre-owned, but dead mint. It's a very good-looking 2014 R8 in Sunrise Tea Burst gloss with a semi-plain top, which I very much like. It's pretty stunning, and a definitely keeper for me. Not too awful weight-wise right at 9 pounds. Very resonant unplugged. The neck seems pretty much like a PRS wide fat, but I didn't measure it.

After I committed to buying the LP, I decided I should get a real Stratocaster. A used one at Wildwood caught my attention, but they had a new one just like it, so that's what I went with. It's a Custom Shop Jeff Beck Signature in Surf Green. Just about every one of my guitars is a favorite, but this one is already way at the top, at least for looks and feel and vibe. It is a very nicely made guitar, equal in quality to any others that I have or have owned in the past. And Fender does a great job with the whole package. The guitar came with Straplocks, along with a nice tool kit, cord, some picks, and a quality strap, in addition to the COA and other stuff. Very nice. (I can tell I'll be buying another Custom Shop Fender in the future for some reason I haven't thought of yet.)

Both of these are really great guitars, but I can see why people nit-pick about Gibson idiosyncrasies. My particular guitar has the typical red bleeding from the body and neck into the binding, and the finish at the neck-body join is not completely smooth. I wonder if that will be an issue down the road. And the frets are just not as nicely dressed as the Fender is. But as I said, these are nit-picks. If I didn't have the other high quality guitars to compare against, these things probably wouldn't stand out as much.

So here they are:

Wow, great additions! Congrats!

The rack behind looks well stocked as well. Nice stuff all around.

nice!

Very nice, congratulations!
    'We went guitar shopping today, we like guitar shopping'
    - Joe Bonamassa

Cool X2!

Very nice pair.
    Gibson, Norman, Fender, PRS, Taylor, Laskin, Thorn, Boogie, Fishman

Superb double acquisition... Congrats!! I'm partial to the LP

What an awesome double whammy

Congrats
    " Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights.
    But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge."

The Prophet