ad banner

Thread: Am I over thinking this? Speaker cable.

Default Am I over thinking this? Speaker cable.

I recently purchased a tube head and speaker cabinet pair.
    The connections call for a 1/4" connector at each end.
    I just ordered a kinda expensive cable with Neutrix gold right angle connectors and Mogami 3082 speaker cable.

What do you guys use? I could have made my own with zip cord or used a guitar patch cord.
    Most speakers use twisted pair inside the cabinet, so maybe I'm nuts.

Speaker cable is a all about Gauge and Length and Maximum wattage pasted thru that cable.
    Since most guitar amps max out at 100 watts any 12 or 10 Gauge cable is more than ample.
    PS- Zip cord is not very robust it would work BUT would most likely fail just when you need it.
    Look for cable with a nice thick flexible jacket and good insulation on the 2 conductors.
    PRS 408
    PRS CU22
    PRS CU22 Special Semi Hollow
    PRS 513
    PRS SCT
    PRS DGT
    PRS Silver Sky ( Horizon )
    PRS Silver Sky ( Orion Green )
    Fender Stratocaster
    Guild D-35
    Ovation Celebrity Deluxe Double neck
    Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them )
    TC Electronics Nova System
    Mesa Boogie MKV
    PRS 2 Channel H

Spend what you want. But as long as the cable (wire, really) is heavy enough gage, it won't make any difference. I use 12 ga zip cord - switchcraft ends. Works fine.

Need proof? I run a $10k stereo system, 6' tall speakers with ribbon tweeters, tube pre and power. I always used zip cable. The (gullible fool) person I bought the speakers from threw in a pair of $400/speaker high end, DIRECTIONAL (!) cables.

Could I hear a difference? No. Could anyone else? Hell no. Anyone who says they can hear a difference on a tube amp, thru a guitar speaker and cab, is trying to sell you something.
    Jon

Too many guitars.
    Even more amps.
    Waiting for an intervention, here.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post
    I use 12 ga zip cord - switchcraft ends.
    I tend to agree with you.
    When I installed my 6.1 surround system, I did a lot of research on wire, since 6 speakers eat up a lot of cable.
    The final winner was at Lowe's, sold as a 100' roll of wire intended for low voltage outdoor lighting.
    It's 12 ga. pure copper, zip type, black, stranded, with a trace on one side, and reasonably priced.
    I'm partial to gold connectors partly because they don't corrode, but mainly because they solder so nicely. Spooch -- done!

BTW, while over thinking this, I realized the contact patch of a 1/4" plug/jack is at most two dots the size of a pin head. The rest of the tip doesn't touch anything.

(One famous cable maker charges a lot and brags that they wind their cable the other way, because electrons orbit the nucleus that way. HUH?)

I'm still trying to figure out how a speaker cable can be directional. I can swear, I heard no difference when I hooked em up backwards
    Jon

Too many guitars.
    Even more amps.
    Waiting for an intervention, here.

If you run the speaker cable backwards then you canít read the writing on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Twang View Post

What do you guys use? I could have made my own with zip cord or used a guitar patch cord.
    Most speakers use twisted pair inside the cabinet, so maybe I'm nuts.
    Guitar patch cords are just short instrument leads. You should never use those as speaker cables. Take a look at link for full explanation, but essentially instrument leads are shielded whereas speaker ones aren't. BTW I just get sturdy ones that are are a reasonable length

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech...speaker-cables

Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    If you run the speaker cable backwards then you can’t read the writing on it!
    And NEVER with a wah wah.......haw haw
    PRSi....SAS, HB II, ME I, DGT Wood Library, 408 BRW, P22, DC 245

Quote Originally Posted by johnreardon View Post
    Guitar patch cords are just short instrument leads. You should never use those as speaker cables. Take a look at link for full explanation, but essentially instrument leads are shielded whereas speaker ones aren't. BTW I just get sturdy ones that are are a reasonable length

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech...speaker-cables
    The short of it is that an instrument cable is designed for a small signal. It has a much smaller conductor, which means a much higher impedance than speaker cable. Just a bad idea all around to use an instrument cable as a speaker cable.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how a speaker cable can be directional. I can swear, I heard no difference when I hooked em up backwards
    Electrons don't like running uphill, so they need help. If you hook it up backwards, the escalator is going the wrong direction.