ad banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just finished the Wilson sister's book.

I've been reading a lot of rock bios/auto-bios over the last few years and they're pretty much all the same with the time line... lots of chapters on the early, formative years and a very quick wrap-up of the more recent 10-15 or so years. I think this is because once these artists are really established they're fairly settled in at this point in their careers and lives. Most of the really messed-up stuff happens early on. I finished Ozzy's book a couple weeks ago, that one was fun. No holds barred in that book! There's a long line of holds on Keef's book, so I'm waiting. Warren Zevon's was interesting. I finished Dave Mustaine's last week and am reading one of Nikki Sixx's right now. Joe Perry's on order, so that's next.

--Tom

Oh, Tom - you need to check out Ace Frehley's and Peter Criss's books. They break out of that mold a bit. They still do the childhood thing, but they're not quite as formulaic as some of the others are. They both sling some arrows at their bandmates. Peter's book in particular has some pretty wild stories.
    Alan

"He took the time to press the shift key, Marge. I think he knows what he's talking about." - Homer Simpson

I read the Wilson's book some months ago now, and it was an interesting read.

Like tms, I too have read a lot of rock autobio's over the last few years, Slash, Duff McKagan, Pat Benatar, Keith Richards and Neil Young. All very enjoyable and insightful reads.

Neil Young's was probably the most unconventional in format as it didn't follow in an ordered chronological way. It was in some ways a stream of consciousness thing where a chapter was what ever he felt like putting down on that given day. It broadly starts at the beginning and end with the present, but it does go off on tangents at various places throughout.

Next on the list is Don Felder's.
    You can't argue with a sick mind.

Guitars & gear
    2009 PRS Howard Leese Golden Eagle #88
    2010 PRS McCarty Dallas Shootout #12
    2013 PRS P22
    1978 Hamer Sunburst
    2007 Gibson Les Paul 59RI
    2003 Gibson Les Paul 57RI
    2007 Gibson Les Paul 58RI
    1974 Gibson SG Special

The Felder book is pretty insightful. Frey and Henley really come off as jagoffs, but Felder does give them credit for what they've done. If you've seen the Eagles documentary, Frey comes off pretty much the same as that. Henley and Frey tried to stop publication of this book - that should tell you something.

I've read quite a few of these over the last 8 years or so (I started a database of what I've read a while ago, as much for motivation as anything) - all four Kiss members (Gene's first, Kiss And Tell, is really pretty good and pretty even-handed), Todd Snider, Linda Ronstadt, Pete Townshend, Tony Iommi, Sammy Hagar (VERY insightful into the Van Halen dealings), Rudy Sarzo. A few others. Crystal Zevon's book about Warren is very good - I got to meet her at a signing for that (didn't get it signed because I was in Colorado and wasn't sure I could fit a copy into the luggage). Very nice lady.
    Alan

"He took the time to press the shift key, Marge. I think he knows what he's talking about." - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMitch View Post
    ... I KNOW this book is under the tree, waiting for me.
    Sure enough, there it was. The Wifey knows I am a sucker for anything Heart. It was a good read, just a little thin. No offense to the sisters, I enjoyed the book and learned a few things... but Howie's stories - at Exp sessions and the like - about the era are more captivating.

Example: Jump to 01:20 ...
    [/QUOTE]
    Wow, that is fascinating. Can we start rehearsal now?

Thread revival-- I'm reading Rick Wakeman's Grumpy Old Rock Star now. If any of you guys want to read some
    seriously funny road anecdotes, you gotta read this one. It's a collection of stories and Rick's a great storyteller.

--Tom

Joe Perrys book is good, Steven Tyler's is terrible. The Duff McKagan book is excellent, but nobody has topped "Life" by Keef.

Quote Originally Posted by HOWMAN View Post
    Joe Perrys book is good, Steven Tyler's is terrible. The Duff McKagan book is excellent, but nobody has topped "Life" by Keef.
    Haven't been able to check "Life" out yet. Long waitlist! Perry's was good. Read Steven Adler's but not Duff's. Adler's
    was pretty good.

--Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tms13pin View Post
    Haven't been able to check "Life" out yet. Long waitlist! Perry's was good. Read Steven Adler's but not Duff's. Adler's
    was pretty good.

--Tom
    FYI - "Life" has been at B&N in the remainders section for $7 or $8. Not sure if it's still around or not.
    Alan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12