ad banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tube amps for family home use?

Serious Poo is offline ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♪♫

Power Attenuators are great for exactly this situation. I've been using them for around 15 years, on all sorts of tube amps.
    Anarchist reactionary running dog revisionist
    Hindu muslim catholic creation / evolutionist
    Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist
    Minimal expressionist post-modern neo-symbolist...

As silly as this sounds.... I picked up a Mesa Mark V as a "practice"/"low volume" amp and it does great.

I've got a 5 watt Tungsten Mosaic that works pretty well. But I'm at the other end of the house from the bedrooms. I've also used my Mesa TA-30 - it steps down to 7.5 watts and has a master volume so you can get tube tone at very low volume. This amp is nice because it will play very quiet and also go loud enough to gig.

I'm in the same boat as you are,so I have a couple choices for you
    Blackstar HT1 or HT5 excellent drive takes pedals well in front and in the loop,i have also the Hughs and kettner tubemeister 18 that has one of the best direct boxes in the business plus a boost feature for solos and at 1 watt you can still rock it without bothering the kids.
    also i'm waiting for the new Egnater detroit series "USA assembly" not far eastern,and that looks promising too
    Good hunting
    " Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights.
    But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge."

The Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    No problems here with tube amps at home. I guess the family just gets use to dad making noise.

My 100 watt JVM does have the ability to sound great at low volumes though I rarely use it that way. I even mic it for a fuller sound!!!
    In two sentences you covered what I needed an entire essay for LOL

To the OP: what BrianC said

Alex

I practice with either my Bogner Shiva or AC15C1. The Shiva has such a great master volume, I can easily play at a whisper volume and get pretty close to the tones I want. Of course it sounds better at gigging volumes, but does a great job in the bedroom. No basements in Florida, so I can't go there...

You've gotten a lot of great responses already but I've been meaning to post ever since I saw it on my phone. Didn't have internet for a few days because we're moving into our first house (owning instead of renting that is). Our situations are pretty similar so I wanted to chime in. My wife and I have a 4 month old, like Fox77 I've been playing my amps the whole time my wife was pregnant. Our son actually loves listening to me play. Watching my hands while I play guitar was actually one of the first things he paid close attention to and kept his eyes on for an extended period of time. I never play at a volume that would hurt any of our ears, which works just fine because modern (especially high gain) amps are better at that whole master volume thing. High gain amps usually get most of their voicing and gain from the preamp, so the power section is made to be more transparent than on a lot of the vintage stuff. My Elmwood M90 is especially great at low volume playing. However, I also recently got a Kemper for recording, late night use, etc. If I were you, I would probably keep the Axe Fx and add an amp so that you really have both options because you keep your familiarity and silent practice options, but you can get that feel factor when you miss it, and even can maybe crank it up on the odd occasion when nobody else is around!

Another thought that may be helpful is to try an Auralex GRAMMA pad for your cabinet. This will decouple the amp from the floor and should make it quieter in adjacent rooms, or even in the floor below if the amp is on an upper level in the house. I'm using one now and it makes a difference.

Get something with a single-ended 6V6 configuration. They sound great. One power tube in Class A. I have an old Supro Corsica from the mid 60s that sounds killer. If you like the sound of Jimmy Page on the early Zep albums - there you have it. A very loud 5 watts of goodness when you dime it. An old fender tweed champ would also fit the bill. Victoria makes a nice reproduction with the 5112T and substituted the 8" speaker for a 12-inch which is a nice upgrade.

I bought a Badcat Unleash or the sole purpose of cranking my amp at low home volumes. I can run my amp in its sweet spot and adjust the Unleash to control the volume. It's totally transparent. I was using it with a Mesa TA-15, now I'm running a PRS sweet 16 and it sounds great.

I own many amps with post inverter master volumes that works well.
    However, my best solution was my 2 watt East Amp with a 10" cab...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast