ad banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12-String Bass?

If you would like to. It's up to you. Everybody here already knows we're a few fries short of a happy meal.

For the record, Tom Petersson invented the 12 string bass. He asked Hamer to build him one, but the first one they sent was a 10 because they didn't think anyone could actually play a 12. He played it fopr one show and told them to build him a 12. For the longest time his signal ran through a 3 way crossover - kids went to Marshall amps and highs to Vox amps IIRC. No bass amp needed as he got plenty for the venue. If anybody happens to know Tom, please have him enlighten us on anything we missed.

Tom Petersson also used to use Rickenbacker cabinets for his bass rig (not sure if he used their heads too, but I definitely recall seeing those cool shaped Ric cabs on stage with him before). After he left Cheap Trick in the early '80s he also commissioned an 18 string bass (!), as I recall seeing it listed on the album credits for the lone record he recorded outside of CT (check Wikipedia as it's listed there too). Don't know if Hamer made it for him (I would assume so, but haven't seen any pictures of it), but talk about a BEAST!!! I can only imagine what it weighs too... I'm a huge Cheap Trick fan, having seen them 30-40 times, and I love me some 12 string bass!
    My PRSi: 1986 PRS Pre-Standard, 1986 Custom, 1987 Custom, 1987 Signature #106, 1991 Custom 24 Bonni Pink, 2000 Singlecut, 2005 Custom 24 20th Anniversary, 2010 Starla, 2010 Martin Music Custom 24 "Floyd", 2015 Private Stock Santana II

Modulus made the 18 string....TP didn't like it...crazy wide neck. It eventually ended up with Allen Woody, late of Allman Bros, etc.

I've played 8- and 12vers for decades. Have owned many. I prefer 8- strings, as they are a lot easier to amp and control the dynamics on. If you biamp an 8 and run the highs thru a phase/DDL, you basically have the 12ver sound with more control.

BTW....Petersson almost never used a 12ver in the studio. It is mainly a live thing to fatten out the sound of a 3-piece. Ament mostly uses an 8 in PJ now when he needs the octave sound, since Vedder started playing guitar and filled up the sonic landscape.

The sound of my 12 is so fat it makes me want to wear a kilt. Don't get me wrong, I love my Warwicks, but they sound positively tame compared to the Waterstone.

Great stuff guys... Back in the late '80s one of my good buddies at the time custom-ordered a Hamer 8 string bass with a solid flame maple body that had the sig Hamer 12 string headstock, and that was killer! Had EMGs in it if I recall, and it sounded like a freight train! Always loved that bass...
    My PRSi: 1986 PRS Pre-Standard, 1986 Custom, 1987 Custom, 1987 Signature #106, 1991 Custom 24 Bonni Pink, 2000 Singlecut, 2005 Custom 24 20th Anniversary, 2010 Starla, 2010 Martin Music Custom 24 "Floyd", 2015 Private Stock Santana II

Missed this thread too - A good bit of misinformation in the posts above, actually. I've been playing 12 string basses for almost 30 years now. They are DEFINITELY fun to play too! Tom Peterson stopped playing Waterstones 2-3 years ago, and has been playing 3 older Hamers and a couple of his Gretsch White Falcon and TP Models since.
    Nobody builds/built them better than Hamer, hands down. Chandler made nice ones, but they were significantly overpriced and heavy as hell. The few that Hiroshi Kid made in the early/mid '90s were also very nice, but again, the weight and scarcity kept them from going anywhere. I've owned a Waterstone, which is probably the nicest of the imports overall (after the first year or so, which had some issues). I haven't spent any real time with the Gretsch models yet, but t over $10k a pop, I'm already not interested.
    After that, pretty much everything else out there is garbage, and frankly, some just plain suck.
    Right before Hamer was shuttered, I thought that a 2TEK version would flat out destroy everything!

Quote Originally Posted by cmatthes View Post
    Missed this thread too - A good bit of misinformation in the posts above, actually. I've been playing 12 string basses for almost 30 years now. They are DEFINITELY fun to play too! Tom Peterson stopped playing Waterstones 2-3 years ago, and has been playing 3 older Hamers and a couple of his Gretsch White Falcon and TP Models since.
    Nobody builds/built them better than Hamer, hands down. Chandler made nice ones, but they were significantly overpriced and heavy as hell. The few that Hiroshi Kid made in the early/mid '90s were also very nice, but again, the weight and scarcity kept them from going anywhere. I've owned a Waterstone, which is probably the nicest of the imports overall (after the first year or so, which had some issues). I haven't spent any real time with the Gretsch models yet, but t over $10k a pop, I'm already not interested.
    After that, pretty much everything else out there is garbage, and frankly, some just plain suck.
    Right before Hamer was shuttered, I thought that a 2TEK version would flat out destroy everything!

That, sir, is awesome!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123