ad banner

Thread: SC245 (limited ) vs Stripped 58

Default SC245 (limited ) vs Stripped 58

Alright, single cut experts, if you were deciding between a stock Stripper and a SC245 in s limited thin-nitro Paul's Finish w/ 57/08's, which would you go for, and why? What, tonally, would the biggest difference between the two?

As a point of reference, my DGT is pretty much my dream guitar, and I've never actually owned a Les Paul (oh the horror!).

Would you view the 245 worth a few additional hundred dollars?

Thanks in advance!

Biggest differences would be the bridge and the neck profile. I prefer the wraptail to the 2 pc bridge and I prefer wide/fat necks so I'd go for the 245. Tonally, i'd expect the 245 to sound a little thicker and warmer but that can vary from one guitar to the next. I'm not 100% but I believe that 245 is going to have a chambered body if that matters to you. The 58 will be solid.
    Guitars
    PRS McCarty 594 WL * Gibson Historic R7 * Gibson Les Paul Custom * Gibson ES-345 * Gibson CC R9 Gabby * B3 Wood * Nash S-67 * Nash S-63
    Amps
    Friedman Small Box * Friedman Runt 20 * Fender '68 Custom Vibrolux

The new SC245 has a two piece bridge per the photo on the PRS site.

I have experience with both, and they are pretty close. Chambering is one difference of note for me, and some 245s were just too light for my liking. I also think pickup selection will make a difference. Net net I don't think there is more than 10 or so percent of a difference, with my own personal experience being a stripped 58 being a tad closer to a Le Paul than the 245.

None of my 245s have 08s/ if they did, for me, it would be hands down 245. I just like the neck, I guess. Even tho the Stripper has a solid body, the stop tail on my 245s and the fat neck make them seem beefier.

That said, I wouldn't be paying a premium for the LE unless you want the candy - you can find a perfectly good 245 for around $1500 - leaving you plenty of money to swap pickups to whatever you want - even DGTs.

BTW and OT - if the DGT is your "dream" guitar - why not just grab one? I've seen more than one (including some here) for under $2k - I finally got one myself, and fwiw, they are not 245s or SC58s. Not interchangeable, by any means - there is way more difference between a DGT and a 245 than there is between a 245 and an SC58.

edit - just read more posts - if what you REALLY want is a DGT - talk to Kevin.

http://www.vintagerocker.com/forum/s...ntial-Pedigree
    Jon

Too many guitars.
    Even more amps.
    Waiting for an intervention, here.

Thanks guys. I already have a dgt, thought about getting a standard but with almost no cash, trade is what I need to do. Kevin and I have already spoken... ;-)

A trade opportunity has popped up, where I can get the ltd 245 (thin nitro, 57/08, Paul's finish) for around 2300 in trade value. Feels a bit steep for me, don't know that nitro is worth that premium.

Quote Originally Posted by mdclark58 View Post
    Thanks guys. I already have a dgt, thought about getting a standard but with almost no cash, trade is what I need to do. Kevin and I have already spoken... ;-)

A trade opportunity has popped up, where I can get the ltd 245 (thin nitro, 57/08, Paul's finish) for around 2300 in trade value. Feels a bit steep for me, don't know that nitro is worth that premium.
    I'd say that's maybe a bit steep but if you have to trade your options might be limited. The Ted McCarty LTDs that are out there used have been going for around 2k. With that one you get the nitro, old birds, and binding. Also, for around that amount you might even be able to find a used 25th Anniv SC245 with the 08s, nitro top coat, and locking tuners. There is one on the 'bay right now without the 57/08s for $2100.
    Guitars
    PRS McCarty 594 WL * Gibson Historic R7 * Gibson Les Paul Custom * Gibson ES-345 * Gibson CC R9 Gabby * B3 Wood * Nash S-67 * Nash S-63
    Amps
    Friedman Small Box * Friedman Runt 20 * Fender '68 Custom Vibrolux

Sorry, OP. Misinterpreted your post. Paying over 2k, I'd want a Ted - I have a pair, and prefer either to all my 245s.

Point of reference (sss, of course) I got my SC245LE new for well under 2k. YMMV. Special guitars are always worth extra money - I haven't played the one you're looking at - it may be "magic."
    Jon

Too many guitars.
    Even more amps.
    Waiting for an intervention, here.

I have a SC Ted from the original run of 250 with non-etched 57/08s. I also had a nice 245 but sold that right away once the Ted arrived. Hands down the Ted is THE SC PRS for me.

Yeah, back awhile ago it came down to a sc ted and a dgt. Went with the dgt and don't regret it. I've somehow acquired a bunch of amps, and was looking to trade when the sc245 limited came up. Would love a sc ted, but no one seems to be moving them right now. This time last year, there were 4 or 5 used ones available. My 1st world problem.