ad banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: ME I. Trem or Stoptail?!? Help

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SE Massachussetts
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I always prefer a trem if it's available. I like the option of a little wiggle on a note.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    189

    Default

    I don't even use the trem, so FWIW Stop tail for me.... makes alt tuning and string changes much easier.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Coos Bay
    Posts
    393

    Default

    I love the sound of a trem.

    I love the simplicity of a stoptail.

    Nothing sucks more than breaking a string in the middle of a gig with a trem. At least with a stop tail you can continue the song in reasonable tune.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    346

    Default

    If you trem, you should look up a Tremol-No. The best of both worlds.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geese_com View Post
    If you trem, you should look up a Tremol-No. The best of both worlds.
    "Best of Both Worlds": Great to have choice.



  6. #16
    Serious Poo's Avatar
    Serious Poo is offline ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♪♫
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinfan View Post
    The one thing I have noticed with my guitars is that the attack is softer on the trem guitars - the string gives a bit more and so it's more furry around the edges. There's no give in a hardtail, so there's a bit more snap.
    Quote Originally Posted by gear_freak View Post
    The stoptail gives it a bit more snap and chime than the trem version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenius View Post
    I used to own an ME1 w/stoptail and now have an ME1 w/trem. Comparing these two I was a bit surprised, that the trem equipped sounded more clear and had better sustain.
    I've owned several of each and completely agree with these comments. I prefer stoptails for rhythm parts, they sound a little more immediate and percussive. They sounds AMAZING with soapbars IMHO. I prefer trems for leads, I like the way the initial attack is reduced and how notes bloom when they're held. I think of it this way: A trem is basically a reverb tank installed into the body of the guitar, so there's where the extra sustain comes from. Also, the springs soften the initial pick attack and rebound with that energy after note is picked, which gives the notes a certain "bloom" to my ears when played at higher gain.

    YMMV
    Anarchist reactionary running dog revisionist
    Hindu muslim catholic creation / evolutionist
    Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist
    Minimal expressionist post-modern neo-symbolist...

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronz28 View Post
    Seriously considering pulling the trigger on a NOS.
    I wonder if anyone cam summarize what i might expect sonically different between two guitars all else being equal.

    Thanks

    Aaron
    Trem all the way, and I dont even use it. I just think they sound better, partly due to the routing of the body, partly due to the springs.

  8. #18

    Default

    for me - its about the sound - not the wiggle...

    I always hear the tone of a PAF/LP in my head - and i know its almost sacrilege to want a PRS to sound like the Ultimate Vintage LP, but thats what my ears wanna hear...

    But, I have an 86 CU and a Brz SC - which has the stoptail - and I think the 86 sounds more LesPaul to me than the BrzSC does because the SC is so much brighter and snappier.
    With PAFs - the 86 is out of this world, but i really want to keep that one stock

    i'm thinking that a ME I DC trem is probably the guitar for me. Its the only variation of the ME that i've not yet owned, and probably why i've sold the others. - they were all stunning, but just the sound I wanna hear .

    cheers.

    A

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronz28 View Post
    for me - its about the sound - not the wiggle...

    I always hear the tone of a PAF/LP in my head - and i know its almost sacrilege to want a PRS to sound like the Ultimate Vintage LP, but thats what my ears wanna hear...

    But, I have an 86 CU and a Brz SC - which has the stoptail - and I think the 86 sounds more LesPaul to me than the BrzSC does because the SC is so much brighter and snappier.
    With PAFs - the 86 is out of this world, but i really want to keep that one stock

    i'm thinking that a ME I DC trem is probably the guitar for me. Its the only variation of the ME that i've not yet owned, and probably why i've sold the others. - they were all stunning, but just the sound I wanna hear .

    cheers.

    A

    I think if its a LP type sound you are looking for, a ME1 is probably not the best choice. ME1s excel at a very loose, jangly type of tone to my ear. (I have owned 3) They are GREAT at that, and its a very unique feel and tone. LPs to me are very focused and tight sounding. I think a ME Quatro SC may be much closer, or a SC with a mahogany neck.
    YMMV as always.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    I think if its a LP type sound you are looking for, a ME1 is probably not the best choice. ME1s excel at a very loose, jangly type of tone to my ear. (I have owned 3) They are GREAT at that, and its a very unique feel and tone. LPs to me are very focused and tight sounding. I think a ME Quatro SC may be much closer, or a SC with a mahogany neck.
    YMMV as always.
    Thanks Tag - i too have owned 3 of them - LOL and i guess i just love the way they look, play, feel, etc. - but i don't care for the RPs - at least not enough to keep the guitar all stock. I really don't want another PRS SC - they are great - but i'm gonna stick with old faithful - LP for that sound... so i don't mind something slightly removed from the LP tone - i just wasn't sure if the stop or trem was the key - i'm guessing a Trem MEI with a more traditional hotter PAF type pickup would be on the right track.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •