ad banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ME I. Trem or Stoptail?!? Help

Default ME I. Trem or Stoptail?!? Help

Seriously considering pulling the trigger on a NOS.
    I wonder if anyone cam summarize what i might expect sonically different between two guitars all else being equal.

Thanks

Aaron

All other things being equal, seems to me that many describe a trem model as more "open".

Also seems that most people favor one, or the other, for reasons other than tone.

Either trigger is a winner.

i'd take both, but if i had to choose i'd go for trem for the comfort.
    too old to die young

The one thing I have noticed with my guitars is that the attack is softer on the trem guitars - the string gives a bit more and so it's more furry around the edges. There's no give in a hardtail, so there's a bit more snap.

As a result, I've found that stoptails tend to twang a little bit more and trems tend to purr a little more. It's subtle though, and the effect will vary from guitar to guitar and depend how hard you play.

I personally have a very heavy pick attack, so I prefer stoptails as I'm more in tune and notes are clearer.

I prefer a trem. When I play a gtr without one I feel a bit more limited. I like the option of giving a note or chord a little extra vibrato.

Trems are a lot more work though!!! Bending up to the correct pitch and staying in tune is the big challenge.

Trem all the way!!!

I prefer having a little variety. I can go either way. I love my SAS Studio with Trem but I also like the stoptail models like the Ted.
    Guitars
    PRS McCarty 594 WL * Gibson Historic R7 * Gibson Les Paul Custom * Gibson ES-345 * Gibson CC R9 Gabby * B3 Wood * Nash S-67 * Nash S-63
    Amps
    Friedman Small Box * Friedman Runt 20 * Fender '68 Custom Vibrolux

I have heard a few people say they felt tremolos warmed up their sound.

However I prefer stop tails on all fronts.
    Good dealings with - PRS_NM, jrw32, BillNiersbach, crgtr, sloanthebone, geese_com, tiboy44, ADP, JackBaruth

I would have to go for a term. I have both term guitars (PRS Custom 24, and Strat) and hard tails (PRS 5909 Experience, HBII, and Les Paul). They all sound good but I am more comfortable playing the term guitars. I think it is how close the strings are to the body of the Guitar that results in the comfort. If someone would be interested in a trade I have a 5909 with 5708s loaded and th 09s in the case, I would trade for a nice ME1 with term.

I like the stoptail on the MEQ. To my ears it adds a little of the mids back that are scooped from the IRW neck. The stoptail gives it a bit more snap and chime than the trem version. The overtones are very nice too! However, that is just my ears and may be different to yours. If you can, try both side by side. Happy hunting!

I used to own an ME1 w/stoptail and now have an ME1 w/trem. Comparing these two I was a bit surprised, that the trem equipped sounded more clear and had better sustain. And as others have pointed out adding a touch of wiggle stick is a bonus.
    PRS Signature 1989 Vintage Yellow

PRS Custom 1986

HouseOfTheDying @ BaM = Eugenius @ Vintage Rocker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast