ad banner

Thread: First (mini-)gig with new band!

Default First (mini-)gig with new band!

Hi all, had a mini gig last weekend and I'm really happy. After not having played in a band in almost 18 years, I found some like-minded guys in March and we started rehearsing in April, once every two weeks. We've all got very busy dayjobs so we're just doing this for fun.

There was a little neighbourhood festival in a little village outside Amsterdam where we rehearse and we secured a spot on the line-up.

We were told at first that all equipment was there including mic'ed amps. But actually it was only vocals and drums were mic'ed. So I finally got the chance to turn up my Roadster combo to gig volume and it sounded awesome

The gig went well, but unfortunately the gig was so loud that it overloaded the video camera's microphone. I do have a picture though and I'm pleased to report that the PRS I took not only sounded very good live, it also looked good under the stage lights - which is a bonus for a cork-sniffer like me

For those interested: that's an original 1973 Tele the other guitarist is playing.

We only played a short set because we didn't have much time to prepare for the gig, but it was well-received. It obviously helped that there were a lot of friends and family members in the audience

Setlist:

Black Stone Cherry: Tired of the rain
    Kings of Leon: Molly's chambers
    Gavin DeGraw: I don't wanna be
    Queens of the Stone Age: The lost art of keeping a secret

Encore: another round of Molly's chambers because we were out of songs

We had also started rehearsing Adele's Rolling in the deep - the way Black Stone Cherry do it. But we were not quite ready yet.

After the gig, the organiser of another neighbourhood festival gave me a flyer and asked if we could play there. That's good because that means regular rehearsals.

Just felt like sharing.
    Last edited by Fox77; 06-25-2012 at 03:30 AM.

Alex

Awesome, man.. congrats... Oh, and tell me, how did you manage to resurrect Frank Zappa to play bass?

Quote Originally Posted by dantedayjob View Post
    Awesome, man.. congrats... Oh, and tell me, how did you manage to resurrect Frank Zappa to play bass?
    Haha, I nearly drowned my keyboard in coffee when I read your post

Also told the guy over the phone, he laughed so hard he really had to focus on driving
    Last edited by Fox77; 06-26-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Fox77 View Post
    ... nearly drowned my keyboard in coffee when I read your post....
    ah... my work here is done...

Goodnight Gracie

Congrats on the gig!

Where exactly was the show? I lived in the Netherlands for a few years back in the 90s.
    I Love Me Some Singlecuts

"Nobody loves me but my Mama, and she might be jivin', too." - B.B. King

Quote Originally Posted by gag halfrunt View Post
    Congrats on the gig!

Where exactly was the show? I lived in the Netherlands for a few years back in the 90s.
    Thanks

The gig was in a place called Schellingwoude, which belongs to the northern part of Amsterdam (north of the river). But it has a completely different feel to it, as you're out of the city. Quite relaxed )

Whereabouts did you live in NL?

Alex