ad banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Box Guitars... Anyone?

Default Cigar Box Guitars... Anyone?

I've started to take an interest in Cigar Box Guitars, mostly for the simplicity and the anything goes nature behind them. I started to build one in my Dad's Garage, so I haven't gotten to work on it in a few weeks, but I figured I'd post a work in progress shot and ask if anyone here has built one, owns one (or more) or has played one really. Post pics if you've got any. Here's mine so far:

Specs:
    Rocky Patel Box
    Teak Neck
    Skull Tuners (cbgitty.com)
    25.5" Scale, Fretted
    Brass Nut
    Piezo Disc Pickup
    Undecided on the bridge.

It will also have a string through body, I'm putting a block under the bridge and for the strings to pass through. The finish will either be all black with a skull or dragon painted on top or I was thinking Goldtop maybe... or maybe for the next one.

I just bought a cigar box ukelele this past weekend... does that count?
    Trading bad genetics for modern prosthetics...

My Gear
    My Rear

Blue canary in the outlet by the lightswitch
    Who watches over you...

Quote Originally Posted by Aldwyn View Post
    I just bought a cigar box ukelele this past weekend... does that count?
    That's on my to-do list too. I never though much about a uke until I heard Ukulele Songs by Eddie Vedder. I'm going to buy a pre made neck for that though. Any pics?

No pics yet... will try soon!
    Trading bad genetics for modern prosthetics...

My Gear
    My Rear

Blue canary in the outlet by the lightswitch
    Who watches over you...

Cool. Looking forward to seeing it... No one else?

I just saw someone who was selling these on facebook today... Seemed very cool.. 4 strings though, how are these tuned?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawksCRNA View Post
    I just saw someone who was selling these on facebook today... Seemed very cool.. 4 strings though, how are these tuned?
    However you want really, usually in an open tuning. Mine's going to be a three string tunes to Open G. I'm using the A, D and G strings so mine will be tuned G-D-G. On a four string I believe you'd add the low E.

Here's a few more shots. While it's not a completely handmade top shelf component masterpiece, it's coming along nicely and a lot of fun to work on as well as a learning experience. Fretting isn't as tough as I originally thought, I did put a drop of superglue in the slots to help it out since I doubt I'll ever refret it. The headstock design is original too. I'll get a little more time on Thanksgiving, but I doubt it'll be done by then. The back of the neck was slightly rounded off with the router, I should have taken a shot of that. The scale length is also now 24.75".

However, the bridge will be different, still an acoustic type though. The holes for the pots haven't been drilled yet. and the nut hasn't been attached or slotted yet. The neck and box are still separate as of now and I have two blocks that will be glued under the neck for support. Also, what we originally thought was teak, isn't. It looks like teak and it's fairly heavy and dense but it's not oily at all, it sanded very easily and took stain very well. I'm still figuring out sound holes and a design to paint on the top. I'm also thinking of burning Roman numerals in between the frets, adding some type of side position markers and the initials "J&J" on the headstock, for my dad and I. Anyway, here is what we've got now:

Cool, the local guitar teacher has started building these. Seem to be the latest thing here.

I've started to do one of these a few times but I always get side tracked by how fancy I want to get with it. Do I use real frets or be more "authentic" and just glue nails to the neck? Commercial bridge or a threaded bolt? Three strings or six? Etc., etc. I have collected several nice cigar boxes though.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast